Monday, February 2, 2009

Installing Gentoo with Ubuntu

Ubuntu has been the only OS on my Gateway t-1616 laptop for over a year now, and I'm pretty happy with it except for its occasional slowness. I've done some research and made up my mind to install Gentoo as a secondary os and maybe replace Ubuntu with it someday in the future. I read through the intallation instruction on the official website and found out that the install CD does no more than providing a pre-existing linux to set up the environment for the new system. Then you chroot into the new environment and let emerge take care of the rest of work (not true, really). Instead of downloading the install cd, I just fired up a terminal under gnome, Ubuntu and did the job anyway. It was way more enjoyable than doing it on a live cd. I made the new partition with the GUI of gparted, and downloaded stage3 and portage with Firefox 3. And of course I surfed the net while emerging stuff into the new system. That's kind of fun, isn't it?

No comments: