Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mandriva ROCKS on Gateway T1616

Bill told me that Mandriva 2008 get everything worked out of the box on Gateway T1616, so I gave it a shot.It turned out every thing is fine.I really love the KDE+Compiz combination inspite of that it might be a little slow on this machine. The only problem is that there's a continuous noise going on with the system on.It is solved by mutting CAPTURE 1 in alsamixer Wireless is easy to gain. Simply goes to Menu-Tools-System Tools-Configure Your Computer , choose Network & Internet-Set up a new network interface-wireless-Use a Windows driver .Then choose the driver for rtl8187b. Then the wireless startes working! UPDATE: If you still prefer to use Ubuntu with Gateway T1616, please check out Linux Mint, which, with some simple steps done, works even better than Mandriva.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I would just like to thank you so much for posting this. I am a Gateway t1616 user and had previously installed Ubuntu (gutsy gibbon) but was disappointed to find out that Compiz would not work because of the video drivers, along with sound and wireless.

I have been using Mandriva for a week now, thanks to your recommendation. Although KDE was really not for me, and had to go and install gnome. Now it feels like Ubuntu with everything working.

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I have a Gateway T-1616 and a T-1625. Basically identical systems, except that the T-1625 comes with a slightly faster CPU, more HD space, more RAM, and a different DVD RW drive.

I installed Mandriva 2008 onto them, and got everything to work happily,

One thing I wanted to note: When you use the Mandriva Control Center to configure the wireless network card and are using ndiswrapper, make sure to NOT use the Windows Vista version of the Realtek 8187b driver. This will NOT work.

Instead, use the Windows 98 or 2000 version of the driver. I recommend using the Win98 version, as I found it to behave a little more stably.

WIth the Win2K version of the Realtek wirelss driver, I could get wireless to work, but after about 20 - 40 MB of network transmissions, the wireless would konk out.

I have not had this problem *yet* with the Win98 driver though.

Another thing to note: I have not been able to use wireless encryption (like WEP or WPA) using ndiswrapper with the Realtek windows drivers.

Just my 2 bits!

-Junko

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone. This is Bill. I am glad that you all can enjoy linux on your 1616. I tried every distro until I found that Mandriva 2008 worked great. So I figure I let this great blog know what I found. I did get Ubuntu running find on the 1616 but had to uninstall ndiswrapper and install ndiswrapper 1.52 from source and then install the win 98 driver. Also a better wireless manager in ubuntu is WICD. Just untinstall Netwrork Manager and install WICD it works great with WPA2 also. TO get sound to work you need to check the back port ubuntu repository and update alsa all works great!!

Anonymous said...

hey guys just wondering...
did you installed mandriva with a dual boot??? or you use the entire partion for the OS???

if the answer is that you did it with dual boot... can you tell me how to dual boot Vista and Mandriva?
thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was working on opensuse 11, but I had the problem with the wireless card. However, In Mandriva everything works well except the noisy sound of Alsa.

What I need to do to shut that noise???

I'll be glad to kill that sound!!!

Thanks